Eye Infections, Conditions & Emergencies Coverage
• All Albertans are covered by Alberta Health* for medically necessary and urgent care visits to their optometrist.
• Optometrists have the proper knowledge, tools and equipment necessary to diagnose, treat, prescribe medications, and refer to a specialist, if needed.
• Your optometrist works with other health care providers to ensure you have the best care possible.
Booking an appointment
• You do not need a referral.
• Most optometrists keep a few daily appointments available for medically necessary and urgent care appointments.
• If you do not have an optometrist, we can help. Click on the ‘Find an Optometrist’ button in the top left corner of this page and enter your postal code. A list of doctors close to you will pop up.
Includes things, such as:
• Dry Eye
• Eye infections
• Eye injuries
• Foreign objects in the eyes
• Sudden changes in vision
• Monitoring for diabetes issues, glaucoma and retinal disease
• Post-operative care for cataract patients.
During COVID-19, optometrists may also be able to assist you with obtaining replacement eye glasses and prescription safety glasses. Talk to your optometrist about the services they can provide.
*We recommend you discuss all services and treatments with your optometrist prior to the exam to ensure you understand your coverage and the options available.