Eye See . . . Eye Learn is an eye health and vision program for kindergarten age children in Alberta.
80% of learning is visual, which makes having a comprehensive eye exam
an important start to a child’s learning journey. The first step
is to book an appointment with a doctor of optometry. They will check your child’s vision and eye health during an examination. These exams are covered by Alberta Health*
. If it is determined that your child requires eyeglasses, they will receive a free pair
through the program. The doctor of optometry will order the glasses for you once the examination is complete. The glasses are covered by a one-year manufacturer’s warranty.
A child is eligible
from the September they begin kindergarten to when they begin Grade One.
Did you know?
- 1 in 4 school-aged children has a vision problem.
- Children with vision problems are often misdiagnosed as having learning or behavioural disabilities.
- Eye health problems are detected through an eye exam.
- The sooner problems are treated, the more likely they can be corrected. Some conditions have a critical period and once the window passes, permanent visual loss can remain.
- Children are often unaware they have a vision issue as they believe what they are seeing is normal.
- 43% of children who have a vision or eye health problem can pass a basic vision screening or sight test. Children may have one eye that is doing most of the work, hiding the fact that the other eye is not functioning properly.