(19 to 64 years of age)
NOW EVERYONE'S EYES ARE COVERED!
For adult patients of the ages 19 - 64, Alberta Health covers only medically necessary optometric services.
What is considered medically-necessary?
- Monitoring for diabetes issues, glaucoma and retinal disease
- Pre and Post-operative care for cataract patients
- Eye infections or injuries
- Foreign objects in the eye
- Sudden appearance of floaters, spots, or flashes of light
- Sudden changes in vision or acute pain in the eye
- Other visual disturbances may be covered... ask your optometrist!
The bottom line is, if you are unsure whether or not a service is covered, ASK BEFORE entering the exam room.
Coverage only applies to the procedures or services necessary to treat the immediate medical condition. A routine eye exam (see What is an Eye Exam?) is not covered for adults (19 to 64).
For those adults between the ages of 19 & 64, the cost of a non-insured eye exam can range from $75 to $175, depending upon the services provided. Other optometric services such as contact lens assessments and vision therapy are not insured by Alberta Health Care and are billed directly to patients. Services of this nature should be discussed in advance with patients.